Tuesday 8 February 2011

What's the story, Soap & Glory?

So I only just discovered that Soap & Glory also do skincare - how comes nobody told me eh?? I like Soap & Glory, more so for its retro 1950s theme, its sense of humour, fun and use of witty puns rather than its actual products. And because I have only just come across their skincare range, I just had to have it all. A little greedy I know but I couldn't decide where to start. I was pretty much like a kid in a candy store. When faced with a new brand I struggle to whittle down the products available, it's like out of the gazillion moisturisers which one should I pick, oh and if I'm going to select the face wash then I really should have the face scrub too, and the face exfoliator, and the face mask. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Not so good for a decision shy person like myself.

Just for the record, the following are not all the skincare products that Soap & Glory offer, I couldn't afford them all in one big swoop. However, it does come pretty close. I picked the most attractive and appealing of the bunch, a bit like picking teams at school in P.E., you know where the, ahem, less able kids sheepishly dawdled their thumbs whilst the more athletic got chosen before them. Anyway, here's my review, and seeing as it's entirely based on skincare do expect a lot of 'soft', 'smooth' and 'radiant', maybe we'll do a tally at the end eh. Or maybe I'll just add 'thesaurus' to my next Christmas list.

Soap & Glory Catch A Wrinkle In Time Moisturiser - Am trying not to use the taboo words but they all apply here. This moisturiser instantly plumps and brightens the skin, leaving it glowing and looking very youthful. The results are that of a healthier appearance. I am amazed at how clear and revitalised my skin looks immediately, it's like a high dosage of energy. I do however have to use a generous amount in order to quench the thirst of my extremely dry skin. Fine lines become less prominent and ironed out after regular use, and although it is kind on facial creases, do not purchase this expecting it to work miracles on deep-set wrinkles. Sorry to be blunt (not James Blunt. Or Emily Blunt. The word blunt) but that just ain't going to happen, wrinkles will not just fade away upon appliance but they will definitely appear gentler. This cream smells like Terry's Chocolate Orange, it's not a strong or overpowering scent, just a mere hint. Overall, it's suitable for those who suffer from a dull or tired complexion as it perks up the skin right away. As the name suggests, it is also ideal for those who are just beginning to develop signs of ageing and wish to 'catch a wrinkle in time'.

Soap & Glory Glow Job Daily Radiance Moisture Lotion - Does exactly what it says on the tin. This moisturiser is infused with beads which burst after applying pressure, releasing a bronzer-like substance which provides a hint of colour to your complexion, resulting in beautiful, iridescent skin. It's a suitable product for fans of the 'au naturel' look or anybody searching for a lighter alternative to tinted moisturiser - if you regularly wear foundation then there's no real point in opting for this product because its glowing qualities will be wasted. Although the moisturiser itself seems fairly modest when smeared on, the effect is greatly noticeable. Fab if you want to give your skin a healthy and lustrous boost. It carries the same chocolate orange smell like the cream above.

Soap & Glory Wish Upon A Jar - A bit like the product above. But better. It's marketed as a collagen overhaul cream which you are supposed to use day and night for three weeks every three months - three it seems is truly the magic number here. And magic itself is the perfect word for this moisturiser. What happens if you use it more frequently than three weeks every three months, I have no idea. Does the ground open up and swallow you whole? Do you turn into a frog? Do the Soap & Glory police arrest you for defying their beauty laws? Who knows? Everything about this product is enchanting, from its name to its silver ball-like pot or tub or jar or whatever you want to call it. It has stars on it don't you know. Not real ones silly. Anyway, so the cream itself, the cream is a light pink marvel. My skin feels amazingly softer than soft when I rub it into my face, and is left looking exceptionally luminous and gleaming. It is actually all glittery - think it must be the 'triple-action youthfake wrinkle-disguising diamond spheres'. WTF I hear you ask, once again, no idea, but anything with the word diamond in it sounds pretty good to me. Supposedly these diamond spheres 'illuminate your skin with a special spectrum blue glow', at least that's what the packaging enforces. Just to clarify, no, your face does not emit a blue glow as soon as the cream is applied. That I can assure you. I promise. It does make it beautifully glisten though. And that's never a bad thing. In fact you could probably even skip the foundation with this as it leaves your complexion all smooth and even. Oh and did I mention glistening? There is something about it that reminds me of No7's Age Rewind range which used to be my favourite skincare not too long ago. That's a plus by the way.

Soap & Glory Bright Here Bright Now Instant-Radiance Energy Balm - Is meant to be a quick-fix, like injecting a shot of energy into tired and dull skin, you know, if you've been working hard all night or have been partying like crazy until the wee hours of the morning, think of it as hangover food for the skin. Does it work? Hmmmm. It's a peachy coloured cream that you can either use as a moisturiser alone or blend into your foundation if you wish, either way it has glowing properties which alleviate the complexion but go easy on it as it can also leave you looking a tad orange if you know what I mean. It doesn't make my skin dazzle like it adamantly declares, in fact it hardly does much for my complexion other than adding a little colour to it. I'd opt for Mac's Strobe Cream instead, now that's a fail-proof energy balm that Soap & Glory can take notes from. It has resurrected my skin after many late, alcohol-fuelled nights so I can nothing but highly recommend it.

Soap & Glory Night In Shining Armour Cream - A night cream at last! Has an orange-y smell to it which immediately has me drawing parallels to Garnier's Stop range. This is a beauty though. Skin feels incredibly soft after application, not to mention looks noticeably brighter too. It is an anti-wrinkle cream and so smoothes the complexion well, leaving it revitalised and youthful. Such a shame that it's a night cream and you are only heading to bed after applying it - what a waste! Must say that it has astonishing moisturising abilities though, so much so that skin is still hydrated and fresh in the morning. Good one for when the boyfriend's staying over!

Soap & Glory Face Soap and Clarity 3-in-1 Daily-Detox Vitamin C Facial Wash - Does its job. And if that's what you are looking for then fantastic. It's not a face soap but like so can dry the skin a tad after use. Lathers well and you can clearly smell the Vitamin C citrusy fragrance which instantly makes the skin feel all tingly and refreshed, reminds me very much of Garnier's Stop Anti-Ageing Skin Refining Wash. It is permeated with tiny bead-like entities which heighten the face wash experience. It does leave your skin feeling squeaky clean but is nothing special in my humble opinion.

Soap & Glory Greatest Scrub Of All - I wouldn't say it's the greatest scrub of all, I mean it's okay but definitely not the greatest scrub of all. I've had better. It's silky with the presence of ickle grains which are there to gently exfoliate your skin, these grains are not as harsh as those of some exfoliators that I have encountered before so it's not a painful experience at all. Skin is left smooth and brighter after use, although slightly dry too. Very brief but unfortunately there is nothing else I can add or elaborate with this product.

Soap & Glory Scrub Your Nose In It - Extreme tingle factor here. Has got to be something to do with the minty smell. This face scrub looks more like a clay mask due to its consistency and green-ish colour, apparently what do you know, it doubles up as a face mask too so if you're feeling lazy utilise as a scrub, if you have a few minutes to spare then treat it as a mask. It's not bad you know. If I'm being completely honest I didn't really expect much from it but it left my complexion all replenished and new. Skin feels extremely exhilarated and revived after use, and much longer thereafter. Miles better than the scrub above, skip that one and pick this one instead.

Soap & Glory The Fab Pore 15-Minute Facial Peel - Sorry, my bad, please excuse me for thinking this facial peel was actually going to be a facial peel. You mean to say it's not? Nope, not at all. It's more like a facial mask really. It's quite chalky looking, chalky in consistency and chalky when applied. With a subtle chewing gum smell. Not in a fresh and minty way but more like in a used chewing gum kind of way, the way that already chewed gum still retains that slight, small fraction of the scent it once had. This facial 'peel' is meant to be smothered on for fifteen minutes and is apparently created with oily skin in mind as it targets enlarged pores with its pore shrinking abilities. I cannot comment on this feature as my pores are rather microscopic to begin with - no, I'm not boasting, it's the truth! What I can claim is that it leaves my skin looking clean, like my skin actually looks a few shades lighter which makes me wonder just how dirty it was to begin with. Other than that there is nothing else I can find to rave about in relation to this product. It's nothing spectacular to be honest.

Soap & Glory Deep Pore Detox Mask - I want to like this, I really do, so I am trying my best to avoid slagging it off in any direct manner. It heats up when rubbed on, which is lovely because it feels all warm and soothing on the skin, and I really am impressed by stuff like that because it makes me feel like it's doing something special, even when it probably isn't. Hey, I can't help it, I'm easily swayed by illusions. You are meant to keep it slapped on for around three to five minutes but I always tend to leave face masks on for longer as it reassures me that they have done their thang properly, you know, for maximum effect. It's minty in colour and minty in scent, and feels rather tingly after the warm sensation ends. Like with most face masks, you are bound to miss a spot when rinsing it off but there is a small sponge provided should your hands not prove adequate enough. As for the result... suddenly it's gone all quiet on my end... well what can I say, it feels better on than off. This hydration and moisture thief leaves my skin extremely dry, think desert dry here - exactly what I am not looking for as my skin is pretty dry to start off with. Maybe other skin types will fare better, like those prone to an oily complexion but for me it's a huge thumbs down. See, I was very diplomatic and cordial in my assessment. It is possible from time to time you know.

Soap & Glory The Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser - I really had no clue whatsoever as to what a hot pore cleanser was but I expected it to be some proper fancy treatment. So imagine my disappointment when I opened up the packaging to realise that it was only just a cleanser and face cloth combo. Nice. I do like it though. With its blend of sweet almond, orange and lavender oils it is a delight to the sense of smell, not only that but it provides an aromatherapy quality which helps to calm and pamper the skin. It really does feel like a luxurious treat. And its fragrance reminds me a little of Crème de la Mer and Yon-Ka Serum which is a good thing folks, like a really, really good thing. It's a fab product for those with dry or dehydrated skin in particular because it glides on to nourish the skin fully. Afterwards your complexion feels rejuvenated and oh so soft. Soap & Glory got it pretty darn right with this one.

Soap & Glory Dr Spot - With spot treatments where I tend to go wrong is that I expect immediate results. I know very well that applying a little of whichever special spot fighting remedy is not actually going to make those poxy irritants disappear in a jiffy yet I still expect this to be the case. Neither is slathering the stuff on. Yet I still do it. You need a little patience with this one which is a pretty tough task for somebody mega impatient like me. Let's make things clear, this won't make spots disappear in a few seconds like magic, it's no miracle gel. I have found that it is better on smaller pimples where it stops them from becoming further aggravated, and prevents them from developing into full blown volcanoes. It will not work on spots of the red and angry variety, despite its strong claims of targeting 'stubborn spots'. Slight exaggeration on their part really. I think I'll just stick with my Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Blemish Gel thank you very much.

Final verdict: Soap & Glory skincare is a little hit and miss really, with products ranging from mediocre to quite yummy. Although I admit that there are a few products that I do actually like, sadly there are none that I can say that I well and truly love - there seems to be nothing extraordinary enough on offer here to make it into my beauty hall of fame. Mind you, they are rather pretty to look at though. Ah, little ol' forever superficial me.

No comments:

Post a Comment