Saturday 13 November 2010

What a load of lip!

Make-up (is it one word, two words, two words brought together by a hyphen - who knows?) is to women what oil pastels and watercolour paints are to an artist, some actually even believe make-up itself is art or at least some form of it, with the face being a blank canvas, and if that is indeed the case then recently I have become fairly monotone in this craft. I used to be experimental and creative with make-up in my teens (am talking silver glitter lipstick and blue mascara here, not in unison of course, well I hope not anyway, however I can't guarantee such a combination never transpired) but now I always seem to rock the same look - dramatic eyes and understated lips which means heavy eyeliner and lashings of mascara with a soft and subtle pink tinge on the lips for a day look and exactly the same but with the addition of a navy eyeshadow for an evening look. I know, not very imaginative.

Ironically though, my make-up collection is so vast that it extends to a fair few drawers, all bursting with a wide array of shades and hues. It's not like I shy away from colour and such, it's just that I have become rather lazy and comfortable in my routine look. Sometimes I will mix it up a little and opt for a different eyeshadow or lipstick but usually I just stick with my traditional get-up, it's easier, besides habits are difficult to break and die hard and all that blah. No excuse I'll have you know.

So I have decided to shake it up a tad - am ditching the thick eyeliner in favour of something more poutastic, am thinking bare eyes and sexy lips, and here is an assortment of lippy that I have procured in order to achieve this new vision:

Kiss Me - Rimmel Colour Show Off
Transform yourself into a sexy siren with this stunning coral red shade. This show-stopping colour should suit the majority, especially those with an olive colouring and those with a warm skin tone. It can be bold so keep the rest of your make-up minimal, unless of course you want to look like you are entertaining at a kid's birthday party. It feels extremely soft and luscious but be sure to prep and moisturise lips before application otherwise it can be quite unforgiving - highlighting flaws such as dryness and flakiness. It's also not all that generous with hydration, lips will eventually feel very tight but if you favour colour over moisture then this is your ideal lip rouge.

Pink Gossip - Rimmel Colour Show Off
A watermelon pink that makes lips look ultra juicy. I personally am not exactly mad keen on the colour, I mean it's okay, nothing of an outstanding nature though, just a sort of middle-of-the-road pink really. The shade itself is far more complimentary on a fairer complexion where the hue appears brighter against the lighter skin tone. This lipstick is from the same collection as the one above, and therefore I cannot stress enough the need to exfoliate lips by brushing away dead skin cells from their surface, and then moisturising well with a lip balm prior to wearing the actual lip colour otherwise lip imperfections will be clearly evident - a smooth base is a must.

Diva Red - Rimmel Moisture Renew
This is your classic deep red lipstick - think old Hollywood glamour here. It's a shade that every female should possess within their make-up bag, a fundamental component if you are aiming to pull off a classy and elegant look. The lipstick itself is creamy, intensely pigmented and bursting with so much moisture. It also adds volume to your pout, creating the illusion of fuller lips. Recreate a 1950s feel by accompanying it with a flawless complexion, dramatic eyeliner and fluttering lashes - make sure to skip the blusher and eyeshadow though.

Lily Extase - Rimmel Moisture Renew
A colour I can only really describe as hot pink. It's flirty and feminine, and likely to suit most colourings. I expect it is a great alternative for those who are slightly timid and apprehensive of a more brazen shade of red - it is not quite as striking as pair of strong red lips but there is still enough colour on offer here. The consistency of the lipstick is exactly the same as the one above, both being from the same range, so welcome a smooth finish, hydrated lips and a fuller pout. My lips tend to be rather on the dry side so lipsticks with such moisturising properties are an absolute godsend to me.

Berry Blast - Collection 2000 Lasting Colour
I have been searching endlessly for the perfect shade of purple lipstick, most are either too sheer or verging on the lilac side of the spectrum. Now don't get me wrong, I like lilac, it's such a pretty colour but I have plenty lilac already thank you very much. When I usually pick up a plum or berry lipstick I am always disappointed to find that it's more of a reddish variety than purple but this berry lipstick is actually purely purple and purple alone. It can be layered on the lips, so a slight slick of it will provide a delicate hue whereas a more bounteous slathering will administer a rich berrytastic colour. This lipstick is big on moisture and also adds volume to the lips. I apologise in advance for the snobbish comment but am honestly surprised to have found such an amazing item amongst Collection 2000.

Mudslide - Collection 2000 Lasting Colour
A seriously dark shade, it's like the deepest shade of purple ever. Much bravery is required in order to parade around in this gothic hue, many people will shy away from such a strong colour or feel too self-conscious wearing it, I love it though, it's so trendy and makes you feel like a vampy vixen. Probably not a good idea on a pale complexion as the contrast would be too great and very vampire-like, and let's face it, looking like an extra from the 'Thriller' video is not pretty or smart. Darker skin tones should embrace this colour though, it looks healthier on these colourings and also suits them remarkably well. This lipstick belongs to the same ensemble as the one above, therefore its texture and effect is alike, expect vibrant colour and a more voluptuous pout.


Happy colouring people!

No comments:

Post a Comment